How to Measure for Glasses Size
A Frame Size Guide
Buying glasses online can be intimidating—but it’s doesn’t have to be!
What Are the Main Frame Measurements?
- Eye size (width of the lenses, horizontally.) The most important measurement
- Bridge size (the piece that connects the lenses and sits on the bridge of nose.) The shortest distance between the lenses.
- Temple size (arms) Length from the lens to the end of the piece that wraps around the ear; from the hinge to the very tip of the arm
- Lens height or "B Measurement." Anything over 25mm is progressive friendly.
Find Your Frame Size
So you already have glasses that fit but need a new pair?
Check for sizing information on temple or bridge
Eye and bridge size are often next to each other, but are sometimes separated by a square box
Temple size may be next, but there could be other information between (i.e. frame model or color/size number)
Range of measurements • Eye: 40mm-62mm • Bridge: 14mm-24mm • Temple: 120mm-150mm
Finding Frames that Fit like a Glove
- Frame Width - the frame should be slightly wider than your face, more than a fingers width between the temple and your face is a sign the frame is too wide
- Level with eyebrows - You dont want too much eyebrow showing above or below the frames
- Bridge fit - needs to sit flush with the bridge of your nose unless its a keyhole bridge
What Eye Size is right for you?
- Small (Under 50mm)
- Medium (51-54mm)
- Large (56+)
Temple (Arm) Length
Common sizes are 135mm, 140mm, 145mm,150mm
Should sit horizontally and hug the ear
- Eyes should be centered in the width of the lenses- Frames that are too wide will make your eyes look close together and vice versa
- Pupillary distance -Looking in a mirror, place millimeter ruler on the bridge of your nose,Measure distance between the center of your pupils • i.e., black dots in middle of eyes
- Bridge If your nose is higher on your face, look for a bridge even with the browline of the frame
If your nose is lower on your face, look for a lower bridge with a curved browline
Share this Image On Your Site