Yes! You can use your Flex dollars for eyewear! (See Restrictions Below)
Prescription eyewear is a flexible-spending eligible item. You can buy online (get started with the green buttons below) or call 800-248-9427 and talk with our certified opticians – they’ll be happy to help you find the perfect glasses and lenses for your prescription.
Frequently Asked Questions About Flex And HSA Money:
When do my Flex Dollars expire?
- FSA or Flex Spending Account: Typically all the money that was put aside must be spent "within the coverage period“. This “coverage period” is commonly defined as the calendar year (ending on December 31st), but could also include the grace period of Jan 1 – March 15 of the following year if your employer offered the grace period.
- HSA or Health Savings Account: funds in a health savings account are not lost when the plan year is over, unlike funds in an FSA.
What is covered by flexible spending accounts?
Your FSA typically covers expenses like prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, first aid supplies, and doctor and hospital fees. Prescription eyewear is also an eligible expense. The following items are usually FSA eligible:
- Eyeglasses, with or without included lenses. (this includes over-the-counter reading glasses)
- Prescription sunglasses.
- Sunglasses (only if medically required & obtained at the direction of a physician).
- Contact lenses and related cleaning and storage solutions.
Why should I buy new prescription eyewear?
- To update your prescription--to maintain healthy vision. An updated prescription can help you see more clearly and see better at night. In fact, The Vision Council of America recommends that adults over the age of 45 get their eyes checked at least once a year. So, make an appointment with your doctor now.
- To update your look to the latest styles and hottest brands.
- To add a back-up pair of glasses for your car or office.
- To buy your contact lens supply for all of 2013.
Keep your eyes healthy--they're the only ones you've got!
At FramesDirect.com we make it simple for you to use your flexible spending account to purchase new prescription eyewear. Why waste your time submitting your receipts for reimbursement? You can pay directly with your FSA debit card (also known as "Flexcard"). Simply select “Yes” during checkout when you’re asked if you are paying with a flex spending or health savings card.
It is a good idea to keep records of your purchase in case you need to submit the details to your flex spending account provider. We will send you the invoice by e-mail and in your package, so you will have a copy to keep.